Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fall in NY

I took these beautiful pics last Sunday in NY.  We flew up for G's grandmother's surprise 80th birthday. 

 Our flight got in late Friday night and our friend picked us up from the airport.  After dropping me off at our friend's house, the boys left to go to a bar.  Instead of going to bed like I should have, I watched tv and played around on the computer.  I finally went to bed around 2 a.m.  Of course, the boys come home around 2:30, just as I have fallen asleep.  They did shut the bedroom door so they wouldn't disturb me.  Nice huh?  Not so much b/c shortly thereafter they decide to complete demolition on Bob's basement ceiling which is right under where I was TRYING to sleep.  We had a short conversation through the air vent and I expressed my sincere gratitude for their work at 3 a.m.  They went to bed shortly after.  Three and a half hours later we were up again thanks to Bob's alarm clock and G not wanting to "sleep" away all his time in NY.  We were all slow moving but we did make it to Denny's for breakfast by 7:30 a.m.  
After a quick trip to Walmart and a short visit to see B's parents we went by G's grandmother's house to pick out her outfit for that evening.  We were bringing her something to change into b/c she didn't know about the surprise party that evening.  G and I were so nervous to go into her house.  She was at a driving class and wasn't supposed to be back until late that afternoon but we were scared she would be done early and show up while we were at her house.  We left Bob in the car so he could call us if she happened to pull in the driveway so we could sneak out the basement door.  As we were looking through her closet, a piece of paper fell on the floor.  We both looked at each other and thought, "Where did that come from?".  We saw a pile of papers on top of her tv and we were about to pick up the paper and put it back with the others, until something told me to look at it.  It was our flight itinerary.  If she had come home and found that paper the surprise would have been ruined.  Thank goodness we looked at that paper.  We finally grabbed 2 outfits and headed out the door and on the way to G's aunt's house.  
I hung out with G's aunt while G, his cousin, and Bob went hiking.  Both of his aunts had worked really hard and most everything was ready for the party.  The only problem was Nona (G's grandma) didn't know that she was supposed to be coming to her daughter's house yet.  Her sister was supposed to call her earlier in the week and suggest they ride up to the aunt's house b/c the aunts and nieces were supposed to be scrapbooking that afternoon.  G's aunt finally called Nona and left a message inviting her to come over for a little while so she could see everyone.  We couldn't wait any longer for Nona's sister to call her.  When  Nona called back, she said she couldn't come over b/c she had plans to go see her godson.  Oh, no!!!!!  G's aunt convinced her to come over with her sister for a short visit.  
They pulled in right at 6 and everyone hid.  When she walked in everyone yelled surprise.  G, Bob, and I were still hiding in the back bedroom.  After about 5 minutes, G called her  and she was telling him about the surprise.  As soon as she started talking about how she wished he was there, we walked to the kitchen and he crouched down beside her while she was on the phone.  It took her a minute to realize who it was but she was really surprised. G's aunt got a picture of her face when she realized G was there and it is priceless.  
It was a great party and Nona was really happy.  We got to hang out with her all day Sunday b/c our flight home didn't leave until almost 8 p.m.  We were really glad we were there to help celebrate her 80th birthday.

On a side note, we flew US Air to Syracuse and it was wonderful.  All 4 of our flights were on time, the employees were friendly and the flights were smooth.  I hadn't flown US Air in a long time, but after such a good trip, I would book my next flight with them.